Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Spring break 2019 - Beaver Creek.

Having never been to Beaver Creek in the winter, I wasn't completely sure what to expect. I grew up skiing the Summit County mountains and have been to a few of the other Colorado ski resorts. And, we've been to Beaver Creek in the Summer and Fall. But, skiing at Beaver Creek was new to me. I knew it'd be nice but I had no idea. We stayed in the Village at the Beaver Creek Lodge. It's a property that Marriott recently acquired and it's just an escalator ride up from the front door to the lifts. Awesome! 

Also, can I tell you how much of a fan I am of the escalators versus the steps? Steps are, generally, no problem in shoes but ski boots - game off. Escalators? Yes, please.

We arrived on Saturday just in time for 3P cookies and FunFest. FunFest is a Saturday afternoon activity designed for kids. There are games set up all around the Village where kids can earn tokens for playing and can redeem the tokens for a Beaver Creek themed souvenir. Madelyn and Sawyer are not one to walk away from games and free stuff. So, after a few pictures with their favorite statues, games were played. Each kid ended up winning enough tokens to earn a pair of Beaver Creek touchscreen gloves. Cool!


Sunday was ski school day for the kids and a play day for Griff and I. The kids weren't super stoked to be going to ski school but we thought it was important for all of us. And, it was only for one day.


Griff and I had a fun day exploring and playing. We found the Candy Cabin but didn't venture inside. Griff tried his skills at the race course. While he didn't "medal", it was still fun to watch. I like to turn too much to want to ever do the races. Nice, big turns. Side to side.



Monday was family ski day. Yes, there was still some complaining, from someone who shall not be named. However, I think we're moving out of that phase. We didn't ski as much on Monday as Griff and I did on Sunday but it was so. much. fun. to be skiing with the whole family, all together. The weather could not have been more perfect. Even though it's Spring, the snow was still in great condition. The only slush we saw was at the very bottom.




We had a great day. Now, we're not perfect and our skiing wasn't perfect. There was Madelyn's dramatic tuck exit from the lift. We thought she was falling but then she just tucked into a little ball and rode it out. So fancy. There was also the jump in the trees that caught her by surprise and took all our breath away. I'm thankful she got stopped and didn't head off out of bounds, down the hill through the rest of the trees. I don't even want to talk about Assay, the shortcut run I took Madelyn and I down where she fell and I almost did, that was the worst little shortcut ever. She forgave me and I thought nothing of her yelling at me because that run stunk. But, before lunch, we all skied from the very top to the very bottom. And, Sawyer led us across some fun little bridges and along a skiway through a condo complex. I was so proud of our little people!

Monday nights, from 6-9P, there's complimentary ice skating in the Village. So after dinner, Madelyn and Griff skated while Sawyer and I sat rink side by a fire.


Photo by Sawyer
All in all, Beaver Creek was a blast. All the little touches - cookies at 3P and the after ski activities that are included in your visit - make it such a unique and memorable experience. I feel very grateful that we're able to do trips like these. And, I'm also grateful for my little family with whom I get to make these memories.

So long and thanks, Beaver Creek. See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment