Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Zinnias, marigolds, and pumpkins - Oh my!


We inherited a garden box when we bought our new house last February. It wasn't a pretty garden box by any means and we're actually going to rebuild it in the Fall. This year, just for kicks, I threw down some seeds to see what would grow.

* Wildflowers
* Pumpkins
* Zinnias and Giant Marigolds (started from seeds inside and then transplanted)

I even had a beautiful blue hydrangea plant next to Sadie's tombstone. But, TruGreen sprayed it and killed it. Wah wah... I've got a new cone flower temporarily in a pot until after we rebuild the garden box.

Surprisingly, almost all the seeds took. The tomatoes and volunteer tomatillo plant did not take. But, that's ok. This garden box was all about experimenting and playing this Summer.

The most pleasant surprise of all to me has been the zinnias. It's taken them a while to get to this but I love looking out or walking by and seeing their colorful flowers. I hardly have a green thumb so I enjoy these that much more.


Post garden box rebuild, I may have to sneak some zinnia flowers into the garden each Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment