Sunday, February 28, 2010

"More"

Yesterday, in a pinch, I used my first sign language.

Madelyn has a new favorite play spot - the bottom step. It's the perfect height for her to cop-a-squat on and read Spot Bakes a Cake or Christmas Teddy or to lean against and play with the stair rungs. She and I were playing on the step and I thought I'd offer her a drink of water.

Quick side note: She's doing much better with the sippy cup now. It just took some reinforcement and practice but she's getting it. She even gets some actual nourishment out of it instead of just putting it in her mouth and smiling at you.

I offered her a drink and she gladly accepted. She took a few drinks actually. I said, "All done?" and she replied, "All done," so I put the cup on the table. Within a few moments, I noticed her doing a hand gesture. She kept repeating it. (I had a quick flashback to Grammy's friend's grandchild signing "Help!" in its crib and getting no response because no one could hear it signing for help.)

Thank goodness Google exists. I was able to find a website with pictures of children signing basic words with the word listed right below the picture. I quickly scrolled down and discovered she was saying, "More." Proud of myself for having figured this out, I said, "Madelyn, more?" while making the sign and she did it back. I gave her her water cup and we successfully communicated.

Apparently Mom needs to schedule a mini-conference with her teacher at school to make sure I know the rest of the signs they use. At least I now know "more" and "help".

3 comments:

  1. Cute! I love that you've tagged this "sweet girl." She is such a sweet girl!

    We're hoping to learn some sign language up here too, so now I'm worried about this crib "help" situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when I babysat her on Saturday night she was giving me the sign for "enough" but I can't seem to find it on Google so I'm not totally sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool story. I know a number of babes who sign and it's really amazing. Getting a laugh that she's ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete